To meet ever tightening emission standards, more and more diesel engines are equipped with advanced emission control systems that include a diesel particulate filter (DPF). These filters or DPFs require regular service known as de-ashing or filter cleaning.
Although it depends on your operation and equipment condition, Cummins recommends a cleaning service interval of:
- Medium-Duty Engines: 200,000 miles / 3,000 hours
- Heavy-Duty Engines: 300,000 miles / 4,500 hours
To help you follow these service recommendations, we have invested in special equipment designed to clean diesel particulate filters. This process is required to remove unburned lube oil or ash that has accumulated in the DPF during engine operation. The material that is removed from the DPF during cleaning is considered hazardous waste, and must be properly handled and disposed of in a safe and controlled environment.
As not one technology or cleaning method can be applied to all DPFs, Cummins Africa uses multiple technologies and methods to ensure that each DPF is properly serviced using safe practices.
Benefits of DPF Cleaning:
- Reduce unscheduled equipment downtime
- Improve engine performance
- Identify potential filter deficiencies
- Increase filter service life
Depending on the type and condition of the DPF, the cost and time required for cleaning will vary. In some cases, filters cannot be cleaned because the ceramic honeycomb structure can suffer cracks from road shock, accidental dropping, or melting due to excessive heat. If DPFs are neglected and not cleaned as recommended, they can also get plugged with excess soot, which will result in total replacement as cleaning is no longer an option.
Why Choose Cummins for DPF Cleaning?
- Ability to clean all makes and models
- Option for Cummins ReCon® replacement filters
- Documented cleaning performance - before and after readings
- Superior and specialized Cummins knowledge
DPF cleaning can help reduce unscheduled downtime, identify potential filter deficiencies, and increase filter service life. To learn more, contact the nearest Cummins Africa location.